Swollen and numb buttock, painful, no visible bruises or bite marks

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up withe my left buttock swollen numb to the touch but deap dull pian any ideas there are no visible bruises or. Bite marks
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Sometimes when there is a continous pressure over any region - either the blood supply to part temporarily ceases or the nerve gets trapped. This can cause numbness with / without dull aching pain. It usually resolves by itself. Since its already 2 hrs from the time you felt numb, I hope the numbness would have resolved by now. I would suggest that use a soft mattress / change your sleeping posture.

If the numbness persists - I would like to know whether you had any history of low back ache or any injury to the part? Does the numbness radiates down your left leg and / or is associated with any weakness / swelling in your left leg? Are there any previous episodes of such event?

Follow-up: Swollen and numb buttock, painful, no visible bruises or bite marks 1 hour later
My left buttocks It is not only numb it is very swollen with no evidence of bruising or bites.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 30 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

Sudden very large swelling indicates either fluid or blood accumulation. Since there is no history of injury or intramuscular injection or bruise or intake of drugs, chance for blood accumulation is less.

Bite marks need not to be there always. Usually an insect bite is accompanied by swelling with itching. But again there is no complaint of itching at the site.

In this circumstance I would suggest you to get examined by your doctor. A clinical examination will surely guide us in a proper way. Till then a trial of oral anti-histamines / hot water fomentation to the part might reduce the swelling.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further concerns.