Swollen and bruised vagina, am sexually active, delivered baby. Skin attached to vagina. Help

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi there,
Well I was showering and felt my vagina, and it didnt feel the same. I grabbed a mirror and it looked very swollen and bruised, I wasnt able to see my vaginal opening at all, and i was almost torn from my vaginal opening to my urethra hole. I have been very sexually active of late and I had a baby six months ago. I know this isnt normal, and its quite sensitive and sore. I have been checked for sti's and I came back clean. I also have a bit of skin that is attached to my vagina, this was never there before .. Help, pleaaseeeeeeeeee.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX,

the possible causes for your complaints are,

-normally during delivery vaginal tears can occur, as you had teenage pregnancy and delivery with vacuum extraction there is a chance for vaginal tear extending up to urethral hole,
swollen and bruised vagina can be seen in case of,
trauma,
allergy to soaps, vaginal tampons etc,
in case of yeast or herpes simplex infection etc,
localized edema can be seen in case of cysts like gartner's cyst or bartholin cyst etc that may close the vaginal opening.

-your description also suggesting the possibility of sexual assault which can lead to all these symptoms including attached skin bit, so verify if that possibility is there.

anyhow now you consult gynecologist as early as possible and get examined to find out the possible cause for your symptoms and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.