Swelling, tightness in injection site. Was self injecting in the thigh. Advise

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i gave my self a deca shot in the thigh for the first time. Normally the glute. Not knowing i hit the center -right in the middle. Little soreness. next day muscle very swollen. Tightness , next day, moved down my knee , 3rd day swelling in my ankle but all on this side.. 22 gauge-- maybe to big or bad place.??? Been taking shots for long time. Switched from Cypionate to deca 4 weeks ago. No pain and it improves every day. I was told that was not a good choice , the center of the thigh. 5 days now but almost back to normal. I been thinking 2 big of needle and to tight of muscle area. Please help...
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The front of thigh is a muscular area and can be used for intramuscular injections. It seems that there has been an XXXXXXX bleeding at the site of injection which has caused a hematoma formation.
It is best to check by withdrawing the needle a little that you have not hit any blood vessel during the injection administration.
Also, put a deep pressure with thumb over the site of injection after the needle is withdrawn to avoid any local bleeding. Right now you can take rest and the swelling is likely to subside on its own n a week.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.