Swelling in the throat while drinking alcohol. What is wrong?

For the last year, whenever I try to drink some alcohol (beer, etc.) my throat immediately makes it difficult to swallow. It is as if it swells up. This lasts then for several hours.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 41 minutes later
hi there, thanks for asking. Alcohol drinking when is in a regular shape, can cause vitamin B deficiency and it can lead to neuron involvements in the different parts of the body including throat region. It causes swallowing to become difficult. It is good that you have a full neuro-psychiatric examination in order to see how your memory, your gait and your motor system as well as your sensory system is working. It is also very useful to use vitamin B complex and magnesium supplement regularly since alcohol drinking can lead to depletion of these substances and it can lead to many problems including muscles and nerves in the body and these can affect the throat as well. Let me know if you have any question.