Swelling in leg after taking Amlopress for BP. Should I switch to Losar?

Jan 2013

I have been using Amlopress 5 for last three years for my BP I consume 1 Tab in morning and Half tab at Night. Of late I have observed that there is a slight swelling in the leg. If I press a finger there is a dimple which lasts for quite some time. One of my doctor friend /relative has suggested that I should switch over to LOSAR 50 once a day and this will eliminate the swelling in the feet. Should I switch over to LOSAR.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 49 minutes later
Amlopress contains amlodipine, a calcium channel blocker, which is a culprit agent for causing pedal edema (swelling in legs).
Although pedal edema appears to be due to amlodipine but you should go for thorough check up.
Do you have respiratory distress on lying down condition (orthopnea)/ night times awakening to get fresh air at window side (PND)/ chest pain/ breathlessness on exertion?
Do you have decreased urine output/ yellow discoloration of eyes & urine?
Do you have any other associated disease apart from HBP such as renal failure/ liver failure/ diabetes?
Do you abdominal pain/ tenderness in right upper quadrant of abdomen?
Are you a smoker?
You should consult with physician and request for the change of medicine such as ACE inhibitors/ CRBs.
Losartan is an ARBs.
You should also go for following investigations: complete blood count, serum electrolytes, renal function test, LFT, serum proteins (both albumin and globulin), urine routine and microscopy(for proteinuria), 2 D echo for Right atrium pressure and diameter, if needed.
You should take diuretics for relief of your symptoms for a short period of time.
Put your views also.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava