Swelling below eye, eyelid bruising, redness, nose blocked, vision blocked. What should I do to relieve swelling?

I had been kicked in the eye which resulted in swelling below my eye, slight bruising on the eye lid and some redness on the outer part of the eye. My vision was limited for about 24 hours until I was able to get the swelling down. My vision was fine for the last 48 hours, with little to no swelling, just a slight XXXXXXX below the eye and bruising on the eye lid which was not very visible since it was folded up. Then this morning I woke up with my nose very stuffed up. I blew my nose very hard and I felt my eye instantaneously swelled shut ( the swelling this time time came from the top of the eye, the eye lid) This left me without vision in the eye for about 20 mins. With ice and eye movement, I was able to regain vision, however the top of my eye (the eyelid) is pretty swollen still and looks worse than before. There is a slight soreness in the eye too, though that may be from the initial trauma. What should I do to relieve the swelling, I have been icing it all day and have an event to attend tonight.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 6 hours later

From the symptoms you have described, you might be having a small fracture of one of the walls of the orbital cavity. Orbital cavity is the bony cavity in which the eye is situated.

Blowing of the nose causes air to go under the skin of the eyelids and cause them to swell instantly. This is called orbital emphysema.

I don't think this is something that can be managed at home. You need to get evaluated for any XXXXXXX eye injuries. I would advise you to see an ophthalmologist immediately.

Meanwhile avoid blowing your nose, coughing and sneezing. Continue icing the affected region. Antinflammatory drugs like advil (available over the counter) 400mg twice a day can be useful.

Hope this answer is useful and informative to you. I will be available for further queries.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah