Swelling above the collar bone, thickening of endometrium. Are these related?

Swelling above left collarbone, a large visible swollen area, when pressed u can feel lump. Have had thickening of endometrium. I'm 54. Postmenapausal for 12 years. Is there some connection
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later

Thanks for consulting us.

I appreciate you have provided a good account of your history.

I suggest you should see a General surgeon for your swelling. He/She may like to take a biopsy from that area which may turn out to be a local swelling in neck area, an enlarged lymph node secondary to some infection, or your Haemolytic anaemia or rarely may indicate some complicated & serious abdominal pathology. So, I think you should try to get an appointment as early as possible for you.

This may or may not be related to your thickened endometrium. It is difficult to say anything without formal investigations. In addition I need some clarifications:

When did you have your last pelvic ultrasound?
What was the condition of your ovaries?
When was your last uterine biopsy performed & what does the report actually says apart from "no cancer"?
Do you have any positive family history of malignancies?

I suggest you should have a repeat pelvic ultrasound performed & assessment by a specialist gynaecologist to rule out any gynaecological cause that may have presented as an enlarged lymph node above your left collar bone. Doctor may suggest some blood tests too.

You may send me your reports at YYYY@YYYY with my name tag, for review particularly your pelvic ultrasound report & your uterine biopsy report.

I hope I have provided you with some useful information.

I will appreciate your response along with your reports.

You may write back if you have any other thing to discuss.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Swelling above the collar bone, thickening of endometrium. Are these related? 6 hours later
Thank you kindly for your response, my last pelvic was a couple weeks ago, it was painful, dr said there was some biopsy was last week, After biopsy dr said "you have three choices, do nothing and have it checked periodically, have it cauterized or ablation I think it's called. Or get injections of some hormone. That's we're he left it. I asked if there was infection he said no infection. I'm at a loss for what to do. My ovaries are very tiny as I was told. No family history of malignancies. Had a mammogram a month ago everything's ok there. This was a gynecologist whom I saw as requested by my physician.
Thanks for writing back.
This is quite reassuring that you don't have a positive family history for malignancies & ovaries are tiny on ultrasound.
I would also like to know about previous results of your cervical smears. When was last smear performed? & what was the report? Do you have any history of postmenopausal bleeding or vaginal discharge?
Actually I wanted to see the reports directly as it sometimes make a lot of difference when we see the actual report.
With the present information, I am not satisfied with your pelvic findings & I suggest you should seek a second opinion from another specialist gynecologist or go back to the same doctor with a request to review with special emphasis on your neck swelling.
The treatment options offered to you are actually increasing my concerns & I am quite worried about the health status of your uterus & cervix.
You actually need a thorough clinical review of your history, clinical examination & investigations ( particularly biopsy of that swelling by a General surgeon ) to get an idea of what is actually going wrong? I think this should be your plan in the near future.
Please write back if you have any other point to discuss or you may close the discussion if you have received the desired help.
I will be there to provide evaluation if you would like to attach reports.
Hope you get well soon.