Sweating around the neck and head. Taking enalapril for high BP and ambien for sleep. Is this due to anxiety?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have for the past couple of months, not every night been waking up every hour or two super hot and sweating around my neck and head. I used to be a great sleeper. I am a 45 yr old male. I have always been a warm sleeper. I am on enalopril for high blood pressure. I do freak out about my health so wondering if it is anxiety sweats or something? Other than feeling tired on days when I am waking up a ton, I feel good. My wife has Ambien so I do take that on some nights, and do not sweat, and sleep pretty well.
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Your symptoms are likely to be related to anxiety. Other causes that need to be ruled out include-
1.Electrolyte imbalance-Abnormal levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium can cause such symptoms. A simple blood test will rule out these.
2.Hyperthyroidism- Raised levels of thyroid hormone is a common cause.
3.Excessive intake of caffeine, tobacco and alcohol can precipitate night sweats. Restrict their use as much as possible.
4. Avoid stress and anxiety. Practice yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises and relaxation exercises.
You need to rule out all these causes with the help of simple blood tests under the guidance of your physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Sweating around the neck and head. Taking enalapril for high BP and ambien for sleep. Is this due to anxiety? 2 days later
So you dont the think the head and neck sweating are a sign of anything serious?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms do not seem to be serious. You can carry out some lifestyle changes as suggested and see if your symptoms improve. In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting a physician for further evaluation will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.