Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Swallowed 3 microgynon tablets. What will be the side effects?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My daughter has just swallowed 3 microgynon tablets
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have just come across your query and would like to assure that though such an accidental ingestion of microgynon is to be strictly avoided its not life threatening and I request you not to panic.
Microgynon is an hormonal combination of estrogen and levonorgestrel .
It's accidental overdose or ingestion can cause adverse effects like nausea , vomiting , headache , dizziness , blood pressure changes and hematologic and liver affliction in children .
However the effects are temporary and resolve with time once the hormones are eliminated by the body .
If the child is experiencing any of the sideffects like abdominal pain , vaginal itching , vomiting headache , rash or , diarrhoea etc then kindly take her to an emergency facility for adminstration of activated charcoal or induced emesis and stomach wash .
The treatment is usually supportive depending on symptom of patient and there is no specific antidote for this overdose .
At home if the child has vomited its ok and you can give her plenty of water to keep
her hydrated .Otherwise you can watch her for next 24 hours and if child is asymptomatic then it's not worrisome and doesn't need any intervention .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor