Suspected to have shingles on leg. Can't take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Any solution?

Jan 2013

It is Sunday and I suspect I have the start of shingles on my leg. Since my doctor is unavailable, should I go to an
emergency service, or assuming I can handle the pain, is it safe to wait until Monday?
Meanwhile, what can I do to ease the sharp, sudden stabs of pain? I can't take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory because of a blood condition.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 23 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

You should consult with dermatologist/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up as you have suspicion regarding skin lesions.
Shingles or herpes zoster is caused by Varicella zoster virus which is also liable to cause chicken pox.
This virus remains in dormant condition in nerve fibres and may get activated during breach of immune system.

Shingles, as it is a viral infection, has a self remitting period of 5-7 days and condition starts recovering once vesicles starts turning into scab.
Shingles is at times very painful and even difficult to control with use of analgesics.

As you have history of blood clotting deficiency and high blood pressure with other ailments, you can take tramadol, phenytoin, oxcarbazepine on written prescription.
You should apply antiviral ointment along with steroid ointment on lesion. This helps in faster recovery as well as control of pain.
Topical application is best as compared to oral tablets.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava