Sun burnt. Itchy pimples over forearms, reddened and getting worse. Is it psoriasis or eczema?

I started last summer after a sunburn with small,itchy pimple-like things all over my forearms that never really went away. Now it has turned into raised,reddened,itchy welts on my forearms...What is this and what can I do? I know it is not psoriasis (I don't think as it is not white/scaley), or possibly eczema.Sometimes gets itchier when clothes touch or sun/heat (hot water).
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 19 hours later

Your problem looks like you are suffering from polymorphic light eruption. This may appear as flat lesions called macules or raised lesions like plaques. Scaling may not be there. Lesions are very itchy when exposed to sun light. The disease can be confirmed by doing a skin biopsy.
You may try broad spectrum sun screens frequently in the day time to be used between 10 am to 4 pm.

At night, use mild potent corticosteroids like mometasone.

Take atarax or hydroxyzine tablet at night to alleviate itching. You need a doctor’s prescription for this.

If you are not better in two months your doctor may start you on oral sun screens after an eye checkup.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Prasad pvs