Suggested low platelet count. Causes and cure for this?

Doctor tells me i have low platelet count blood tests veryfy this .I would like to know what causes this and how is it cured
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

First of all only report need not to be treated.

Along any abnormal report patients complaints needs to be looked for.

Coming to your question:

Causes of low platelet:

1. Decreased platelet production: This is very common and happens for a short time due to some illness like viral infection.
2. Increased platelet destruction or consumption: may be due some drugs.
3. increased splenic sequestration (capturing of circulating platelets in the spleen): due to various reasons.

Please discuss this with your treating doctor; he will advise some further investigation as per need.

The treatment depends upon the cause. As stated above if this is due to viral fever, and then it is self limiting condition which does not require any treatment.

I hope this helps.