Suggested Thyrox for TSH level. Have high blood cholesterol level. Any heart disease?

my blood cholestrol level is 240. Am I at risk of any heart disease.also My TSH test was 6.1 and my doctor has suggested me 12.5 mcg Thyrox. I didn't consult doctor for this for past 1 year. Should I continue with the medicine or should I consult a doctor again.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 35 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not stated your personal habits, family history or co-morbidities

Continue with your medicines, for the time being...
There is no doubt that you should consult your doctor...

You ought to have started on Life Style Modifications ..
You should have checked Lipid Profile (LDL, HDL, TG) - after 6 weeks...

You should check your TSH and T-4 - for tailoring the dose of thyroxine...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Suggested Thyrox for TSH level. Have high blood cholesterol level. Any heart disease? 10 minutes later
My mother is diabetic, my father passed away at the age of 38 by sudden heart failure he was also diabetic.
I dont smoke and drink hardly once in a month 3-4 pags.
I dont do any workout.
Please suggest how can I reduce my cholestrol level without starting any medication.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 20 minutes later
There are subdivisions of cholesterolLDL, HDL, non-HDL and so on.
LDL (& non-HDL) is bad cholesterol – lower, the better.
HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better.
In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal. [130 was allowed before.] In the presence of ischemia, 70 should be the aim.
     Keep your weight to normal / even a little less
     Stop alcohol...
     Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad.
     Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee.../ Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil. / Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.
Repeat the test in 6 weeks.
     Cholesterol can still be high, in spite of diet and exercise – you need drugs; Because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity. Statin is the first choice. Some start it straight away –
With a family history like this, it is better to take a drug like statin...It is called Primary Prophylaxis / Many people take - even with normal cholesterol levels