Suggest treatment to increase weight
User rating for this question
Hi My wife's weight is very low.height is 5 feet 2 inch & weight is 42KG.She has taken various health supplement tonics e.g. ferradol from last six months but no improvement is acheived.Daily diet taken by her is also very low.Please reply. Thanks
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Your wife is definitely underweight. Her BMI comes out to be 17, and it should be 18.5 or higher. Please ask her to consume high calorie, energy dense foods - protein shakes, egg, fish, chicken, banana, potatoes, rice. She should have multiple small meals ( keep eating every 2 hours ) instead of 2 - 3 big meals. Never skip breakfast. Consult a dietician to formulate a diet chart and to determine number of daily calories to increase her weight. Also, join a gym to concentrate on muscle training and strengthening exercises. Doing daily exercises will help her to build up muscle mass. Please get the following investigations done - Complete blood count, TSH, Quantiferon TB Gold, Total serum proteins, LFT, KFT, HIV, HBsAg, HCV. This will rule out viral diseases, anemia, tuberculosis or hyperthyroidism, which are common causes of weight loss. Also, an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis should be done. L - Cypro appetizer syrup can be taken after doctor's consultation. Also, avoid stress and negative thinking. Inspite of all measures, if her weight does not increase, and her investigations are fine, do not worry , she is one of the lucky few people who are naturally thin and lean. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
People also viewed
- Pain behind left eyebrow which makes eyes water
- Orange ish liquid anal discharge alli
- Is inverted nipple a side effect of spironolactone?
- Is loss of appetite a side effect of cabergoline?
- Is unusual vaginal bleeding a side effect of zetia?
- Weight increasing treatments in tamilnadu
- What is the treatment to increase weight
- Suggest treatment to increase heigt
- Suggest treatment to increase weight
- Pain 1 inch above navel
- Is dark urine a side effect of microgestin fe 1/20?
- Oxyelite pro with methotrexate
- Is fast heartbeat a side effect of estradiol patch?
- Suggest treatment to increase height
- Pain behind eye then blackout