Suggest treatment to get rid of hangnails

Jan 2014

I had a cuticle in my first finger of my right hand 3-4 years back. Before that I never used to have any cuticle. I developed a habit of pulling and tearing that cuticle. Slowly, it started reappearing like dead skin, which does not pain when I tear or pull it or even press it, when when it finally detaches from the skin, it bleeds. I still have the same habit. Not the dead portion of skin has increased alot and it appears like finger disfigured from top. Can I do something to get it corrected now?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hangnail Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX The condition that you have is called 'Hangnail'. A hangnail is a small, torn piece of skin next to a fingernail or toenail. The best way to get rid of your hangnails is to keep them from forming in the first place. Following measures can be followed to prevent them from forming or worsening and encourage healing. --Hangnails are often caused by dry skin. Therefore, soaking your nails regularly in warm water and/or Oil, is a good way to prevent getting them in the first place. Using petroleum jelly or lotion on your fingers is also a good idea. --Cut the hangnail at the base by a clipper or fine scissor. Be sure not to pull it out, or you risk tearing your skin and making the problem worse. To avoid infection, dip clippers in alcohol or antiseptic before using them. --Rub a moisturizer on the hangnail at night with cotton tipped applicator or with an ear bud. Wrap it in plastic wrap or a band-aid. Leave overnight. This will help prevent infection and soften the hangnail --If you accidentally tore your skin, cover the affected area with a dab of antibiotic ointment and a band-aid and leave for 24 hours. Freshly removed hangnails are extremely susceptible to infection. See your doctor if you experience tenderness, redness, and pus. --Avoid biting your hangnails. This can cause tension and tearing to your skin, making the problem worse. The deep cuts caused by biting hangnails will likely be more painful than the original hangnail. hope this helps you overcome your problem regards take care