Suggest treatment fot saggy stomach after delivery

Mar 2016

After pregnancy it has been 8 months and my tummy has loosen up and is not in shape any more. I have no time for exercises neither have I practiced any since then. However, I am willing to get back in shape is there any way that can help me reduce my tummy with no exercise?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. Following delivery of baby, gaining weight and saggy stomach are common problem among most women. However, there is NO other way to get back proper shape of abdomen besides Exercise. Basically, they (waist belt, drugs, cream etc) create a temporary illusion of weight loss or shaping abdomen by creating more sweat. Here, I give you overall guidance which you will follow strictly to get effective result: 1) Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ treadmill/ running/ walking for 1 to 2 hrs. You should continue this for 6-12 months continuously. This will be more effective for weight reduction and shaping. 2) Do regular abdominal muscle stretching exercise for toning and shaping rectus abdominis and oblique muscle. It will be done for 5 to 10 min daily for best result. 3) Include Ab Exercise by means of captain's chair, bicycle maneuver, exercise ball crunch etc. Reverse crunches recruit more muscle fibers than basic crunch and will give better results, specially for mid section. Keep, your stomach muscle tight during this exercise. 4) Exercise for Transverse Abdominis, which is the deepest layer of abdomen and need to strengthen. It will help to flatten and tighten your stomach. You can do this in following way: a) Lie down on supine position with bending knees and feet will be on mat about 1 ft from your buttocks. Take deep inhales to push up your stomach & exhales to relax with pulling in the same (50 times at single round). b) Along with, you need to tighten pelvic floor muscles by Kegel exercise. These are basically used to tighten muscles to stop urinating. c) Try to hold your breathing without releasing contraction of your abdomen and pelvis. Do practice regularly with 10 to 12 times. 5) Avoid mental stress or depression/ emotional upset by yoga or meditation. Take sound sleep 6-8 hrs daily for complete relaxation. 6) Some conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes, hypertension and other metabolic causes should be ruled out by relevant investigation like thyroid profile, blood sugar etc. You can consult with physician regarding this for supportive treatment. AVOID FOODS: Rice, cheese, ghee, soft drinks, mayonnaise, sauce, sugar and sugar free tabs, dairy products, chocolate, potato, ice-cream, red meat. You must cut down all your fatty foods and sugary beverages. DIETARY FOODS: It includes chapati, pulses, brown bread, citrus or dried fruits, nuts, chicken, fish, olive oil, honey, dates, egg white alone, green vegetables. These are low calorie food stuffs and you can easily take them. You must drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and better systemic circulation. Lastly, you can consult with your DIETICIAN or XXXXXXX INSTRUCTOR if you fail to reduce your body weight or maintain shaping in desired level. Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW