Suggest treatment for uvulitis with throat infection

My uvula is very long and my throat feels very swollen. When I lay down I can't swallow of talk, There is always a ton of mucus on my uvul,a especially when I wake up. What is going on?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Uvulitis with Throat infection. Water, Salt gargle Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I suspect you are suffering from throat infection with uvulitis. It is not a serious condition to be concerned more about. It is most commonly due to infection and secondly by acid reflex or allergies. As it is a curable condition, you need not worry about this. Recent tonsillitis can also cause swollen uvula and increased mucus. Please follow my advice. Take plenty of water. Salt water gargles regularly will help to control the secretions and symptoms. Avoid fried and oily foods as this will only increase the irritation and inflammation. Stop smoking and drinking immediately If the symptoms persists for more than 3 days, the problem might be due to infection and this need antibiotics and NSAIDS to cure. Then you have to consult a ENT physician for proper throat examination and throat swabbing to identify the organism. He may put you on antibiotics for a week or more. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for uvulitis with throat infection 12 hours later
Thank you so much. I have been waiting for over 4 months for an ENT apppointment. I will follow your instructions. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX West
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank You. Wishing you good health. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for accepting my opinion. Please let me know if you have any further queries. Wishing you good health.