Suggest treatment for swollen and painful bruise

I fell 5 days ago and have a bruise a little bigger than the size of my palm on the side/back of my left thigh, it is still quite swollen though it has started to go down a little and warm to touch. It is sore and I cannot lie on it, unfortunately I need to sit and drive and that is not helping. Do I sit it out or should I see a doctor? Thankyou
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Requires medical attention Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The size of bruise (hematoma) that you are mentioning is quite large. If it is really more than the size of ones hand then it is of medical concern. You have not mentioned that you had any sort of trauma or not. I either cases for this big hematoma to develop there has to be a problem in the clotting system of the blood. Normally after trauma after some bleed the clotting mechanism of the blood stops further bleeding. This mechanism is mediated through platelets in the blood. If you have developed this big a hematoma then it is likely that the clotting mechanism is not working properly. To evaluate the clotting mechanism you need to get a CBC done to identify the platelet count and also get bleeding time and clotting time test done. Further this big hematoma has chances of not getting resorbed. In that case it has to be drained. You need to further observe the same for afew days if the size is still reducing on not. There is also chance of it getting infected. In that case you need to be on an antibiotic cover. You have to see your GP and discuss all these issue with him who will be happy to prescribe you certain drugs. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.