Suggest treatment for snoring in children inspite of using sprays

General Surgeon
My kid snores a lot during sleep. We consulted doctor. Doctor advised to use spray before bed, we dont see any improvement though we already used for nearly 1 month
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thorough ENT examination required Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Snoring in a child could be because of many causes 1. It's more common on children who are over weight 2. Enlarged tonsil and adenoids 3. Soft palate falling backwards during sleep 4. Nasal blockade either due to deviated nasal septum ot presence of polyps. 5. Excessive physical exertion during day Since when has the snooring being present? Is your child over weight? I would recommend a thorough ENT examination by Ent Surgeon for further assessment and evaluation. In the meantime I would suggest you the following which will be helpful 1. Short afternoon sleep may prevent night snooring 2. Avoid spicy and oily food. 3 . encourage him to sleep either on his left or right side. Sleeping with tummy on bed may worsen snooring. 4.Steam Inhalation: 15 minutes each session at least twice a day and one session before going to bed will be helpful 5. Warm saline gargling: To a glass of lukewarm water add 2 spoon of common table salt. Make him gargle his throat just before going to bed. It has helped many of my patients. 6. Avoid cold juice and ice cream Do get back to me for any further help or clarification. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for snoring in children inspite of using sprays 4 hours later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your response. Sometime back Doctor examined x-ray and confirmed my kid is having adenoid. He is not overweight. Currently he is under medication, we are giving him metaspray, montair-4 before bed. If ENT suggest surgery, would it be critical or small surgery? how long does he needs to be in hospital? Do you recommend any good doctor near XXXXXXX nagar/Ramamurthy nagar area? Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's a routine Ent procedure Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings If the adenoids are very much enlarged and he is having persistent snoring, adenoidectomy may be beneficial. It's a Regular Surgery on ENT list. It requires hospitalisation for 2 to 3 days only. As I am not based in Bangalore, would not be able to assist you regarding Ent Surgeon in Indiranagar. Rest be assured it's a routine surgical procedure. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak