Suggest treatment for shoulder and neck pain

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor, I have a huge shoulder and neck pain. It is aching in the neck and shoulder area when I'm sitting in front of the computer and holding mouse. There is negative impact on my work. I cant concentrate at work. Started doing some basic exercises but no impact till now. Please suggest me.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to follow a healthy lifestyle. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. It's not uncommon in young people like you to have these neck pains. These as you might have figured out are posture related. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated. You need to follow a healthy lifestyle. All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements. I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. Do not self medicate. Rest is the trick here. Start doing neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work. If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care