Suggest treatment for severe persistent cough?

I have a persistent cough that makes me cough so hard I pass out. Had a cold virus 2 weeks ago but recovered from that except the cough persists. Passed out a work yesterday. Hit head hard and was taken to ER. Head and chest x-rays and blood tests indicate all is well. I went home and continued to cough hard and have passed out at least 6 more times in last 12-18 hours
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allergic bronchitis with cough syncope Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query From the history you have given it looks like you are suffering from allergic bronchitis. To give you a more detailed answer I need to know a few more details, please get back to me with the following details 1. Do you have fever? 2. Please mention the medications are taking for high blood pressure, some medications can cause cough as a side effect 3. Please mention the drugs given to you in the ER for the cough. Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe persistent cough? 46 hours later
Hi Dr., No fever the ER Doctor took into account all of the meds I'm on. I take Avalide 1x day and Metaprolol Tartrate 3x day. ER doc and put me on Robitussin with Codeine and a Z-Pak. Doseage of 1 teaspoon of Robitussin w/Cod did not stop the cough. Increased to 2 teaspoonfuls and that did the trick. I weigh 260lbs so it took more Robitussin to work on more. Family doc is OK with increase.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for replying Sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital The medication you are on currently should not have caused the cough. However I would recommend you to stop Robitussin as it contains Guaifenesin which is a cough expectorant, expectorant tend to increase cough so that the mucous secretion comes out of the bronchus, if your cough is dry then I suggest plain codeine without Robitussin. I would like to add here that cough usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to get better especially after a viral infection. Since all the blood tests and the x rays are normal there is nothing is worry about. Here are my other suggestions 1. Keep yourself warm 2. Do not drink cold beverages 3. Avoid oily food 4. Do not go to bed atleast for 2 hours after dinner I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have any further queries I wish you good health Regards