Suggest treatment for severe itching with sensitivity to cold

Jan 2014

my itchy skin is in upperback and neck line debilitating and almost constant relieved a bit by lotion im almost 80 in age it has now bothered me for 3 yrs have learned not to scratch . couple yrs earlier my dr removed a type of cyst which was likely caused by scratching don't have swelliny now but severe itch back feels like it is always irritated ans sensitive to cold etc would appreciate any suggestion you can make went to dermatologist a few yrs back and got no help said only I hope you got lots of lotion forget what is diagnosis was but he was second derm I went to do lost faith in them.admit that I indulge in alcohol to settle nerves mostly beer and some vodka
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Xerosis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to keep a possibility of Xerosis(dry skin) with pruritus. I usually ask my patients of Xerosis to use a good moisturizer (specially Urea based, 10% or 20 % cream/lotion OR Ammonium lactate based,12%) twice daily. The moisturizer can be used alone Or if the skin is very irritated, they can be used along with a moderately potent steroid like mometasone( mixed 1:1) for a faster relief . Mometasone can then later be discontinued once the itching subsides but moisturizers should be continued. Apart from applying a good moisturising cream it is important to follow general measures like: -using a mild soap -wearing cotton clothing (woollens can be worn over them but not directly on to skin) -Once daily antihistamine like Cetrizine will help you with the itch. take care regards