Suggest treatment for severe bacterial throat infection

Throat irritation resulted to Fever of 102 degrees since friday evening. Took Dolo650 and fever subsided. But severe throat infection with cough persists even now. Took two doses of Cifran500mg and benadryl syrup. Just now took a relent od capsule. Please advice. Severe cough has resulted in throat pain and anything eaten also threatens to come out.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: get a throat culture done Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Sorry about your current health status. Please get a throat culture test done. You need it. There is no point in taking Cifran 500mg just like that. You probably have a severe bacterial throat infection, that needs the right antibiotics. If I were your treating doctor, I would first do a throat swab culture and sensitivity and then prescribe you relevant antibiotic. I usually prescribe either Azithromycin 500mg once daily for three days or Tablet Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily for 3 days. Together with this, it is very important to do oral gargling with Betadine mouth gargle thrice daily until the time you feel better. You must avoid very hot and very cold foods, and take bland diet. Get well soon.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe bacterial throat infection 1 hour later
Thanks Doc for the advice. I am not able to move out of home to get the tests done. Also the cough is so bad that even lying down is not possible at all. Please prescribe some SOS so that I am able to visit the lab for the tests. My chest and ribs seems to have broken into pieces just by coughing from today morning...
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: cough suppression Detailed Answer: Hi, In such a case, I would cause cough suppression by using linctus codeine cough syrup 10 to 15 ml at bed time for a few days. You could also get Betadine mouth gargle over the counter. complete recovery can happen only on consumption of right antibiotic for few days. Hope you recover quickly. Regards,