Suggest treatment for scar removal left after stitches

Jan 2014

My two year old toddler has a scar on top of her eye drown from stitches that were removed two months ago right now its a redish purple color and ot is not raised its more of an indent scar. I would like to know whats the best way to fade the scar. Here is a picture.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gel containing Allium cepa, Allantoin and Heparin. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX The 2 most important things which govern the final cosmetic appearance of a scar are: --If a person presents to a healthcare center within 6 hours of injury the wound is typically closed immediately after evaluating and cleaning the wound. I hope that was the case with your kid. This results in a small line of scar tissue and a cosmetically good result. This is called 'primary intention healing' where the wound edges heal directly touching each other. The goal is to minimize the need for granulation tissue by holding wound edges tightly together. --The second important point which governs how well a wound heals is the orientation of scar. Face has 'Relaxed skin tension lines(RSTL)', if the scar is oriented in the direction of RSTL it gives a good result cosmetically and heals faster because it is not subjected to stress/tension during healing and vice versa. In the picture that you posted i could see that the stitch line is slightly at an angle to the RSTL (RSTL on face are oriented horizontally) and not completely in line with the RSTL which does put a little bit of tension perpendicular to the long axis of scar/across the scar. If it would have been in line with the RSTL it would give the best results in the form of a very thin scar line because it will then heal without any tension across it, but all that said, the orientation of scar depends on the shape of wound and sometimes it is difficult to orient the scar in line with RSTL. --Redness would go with time. Normally a mature scar(>6 months) is avascular and looks white. I would advice that you consult a dermatologist. Your treating doctor can prescribe you various gels to apply to decrease the redness and make the scar more pliable. These gels contain ingredients like Allium cepa, Allantoin, Heparin etc. They can be applied 3-4 times in a day. Moreover, the scar is still fresh even though its been more than 2 months and a scar continues to re-model itself/fade itself and blend with surrounding skin for months or years. Hope my answer satisfies you. take care regards