Suggest treatment for post injury scar

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I met with an accident 2 weeks back and had few rashes on my face. The wounds (not deep) have been cured but left with few scars. I have been using 'Soframycin' cream and I do not think it is making any difference. Please advise a proper solution for the scars to disappear. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information+picture Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to Healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar and I will try to the best of my ability to help you with your concern. Soframycin is a topical antibiotic and it wont help anything with the scar once the skin has healed I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --Did the wound require stitches? --Has the skin healed completely OR are there still raw areas? --What I can gather from your query is that you are probably suffering from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation/darkening at the site of healed wound. Am I right? Can you post me/upload a clear picture of the affected area for me to be able to look at and help you better? regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post injury scar 17 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. - The wounds did not require any stitches - The skin got healed completely there are no raw areas - Right now i am in the office cannot take the pic now. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Post me a picture later Detailed Answer: Hi. What I could gather from your query is that you are probably suffering from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation/dyspigmentation at the site of healed wound. If I was your treating doctor I would have advised you to use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone twice daily for 2-3 weeks which would improve it significantly. Stay away from the sun, preferably use a broad spectrum sunscreen throughout the day. An oral Vit. C supplement once daily would help in lightening it further. You can post me/upload a pic later on in the day when you reach home. regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post injury scar 3 minutes later
Thank you so much, that is helpful. Steroid e.g fluticasone, is this an injection or tablet? Can you advise me of some cream/ointment please (if any)? Also, vitamin C supplement, can i take tablets?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fluticasone+Vit C Detailed Answer: Hi. fluticasone is available as a cream. It is marketed by ranbaxy in india by the name of Flutivate cream Chewable oral Vit C is available OTC by the name of Limcee or Celin. regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for post injury scar 2 hours later
This is really very helpful. Thank you so much. Have a good day!

Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Thanks for posting your concern at HCM. regards