Suggest treatment for persistent itching in groin area

Jan 2014

Hi, Can I request for an appointment with the skin specialist in Noida? I need the advise on persistent itching in my groin area? Regards,
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection/Tinea Cruris/Intertrigo Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Fungal infection in the groin folds is likely to be the reason behind persistent itching in the groin area. Groin folds specially when they are deep and closely apposed to thighs, as in people who are overweight, presents an ideal environment for the fungus to grow (warm, moist and humid) specially in summers when body sweats a lot. If the folds are deep and closely apposed folds the moisture gets trapped in between the folds, thus favoring fungus growth. Clinically it presents with itching, redness and scaling. If this is allowed to continue then constant itching and scratching makes the skin become darker and thick in that area and thus an element of eczema sets in along with fungal infection, where the more you itch the more is the desire to itch ( vicious itch scratch cycle sets in). Treatment is based on: -Antifungal creams: Clotrimazole/Ketoconazole/Sertaconazole/Luliconazole for 4-6 weeks -Antifungal tablets: Fluconazole/Itraconazole/Terbinafine for 4-6 weeks -An oral antihistamines like either Cetrizine/Fexofenadine or Loratadine can be taken once or twice daily symptomatically, for the itch associated with fungal infection -An antifungal dusting powder like Clotrimazole dusting powder is an important part of treatment and for prevention of relapse/recurrence of infection because frequent dusting with an anti-fungal dusting powder not only keeps the area dry but also inhibits the fungus from regrowing. Some dermatologist also like to combine a moderately potent steroid like fluticasone along with topical antifungal for inflammatory fungal infection. I would advice that you just walk-in to any dermatologist's clinic of your own choice, practicing/ situated close to you and you can discuss with him/her keeping all these points in mind. More than the treatment it is the prevention of recurrence of fungal infection that is the main concern. Some general measures like: Wearing loose fitting clothes, cotton undergarments, bathing twice daily(in summers), managing one's weight (if overweight) and sticking to the treatment for the entire duration (4-6 weeks) goes a long way in getting the desired results. Hope you are satisfied with my reply take care regards Dr. kakkar
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent itching in groin area 56 minutes later
Thanks, Doctor. My concern is, it has been prolonged and the skin has become harder and dark. Please advise on the suitable treatment to get the clear skin skin back. The area is particularly srcotum skin and butts.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral+topical antifungals+antihistamine Detailed Answer: Hi. Persistent itching and scratching in the groin folds is very commonly associated with the skin becoming thick and dark(this is called Lichenification). This thick skin in turn elicits more itching and thus becomes a cycle (itching leads to scratching and scratching leads to lichenification which in turn elicits more itching). Using an antihistamine to control the itch helps break this cycle along with a topical steroid+antifungal cream, which targets the fungus and also acts as an anti-inflammatory. -I would normally advice my patients an oral anti-fungal (fluconazole 150mg once every week for 6 weeks). -I also advice in my patients, a topical steroid+antifungal combination cream (clotrimazole+Beclomethasone) twice daily for 4-6 weeks -An OTC antihistamine like cetrizine once daily in the evening will help you with the itch part -Once my patients are cured(usually 4-6 weeks) i ask them to use an anti-fungal dusting powder (clotrimazole dusting powder) in the folds, so as to prevent recurrence. take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent itching in groin area 27 hours later
Thanks, Doctor. I shall follow the prescription as advised by you. I would also like to mention that few (6-7) weeks back I took DOXY for a week daily and got relief from itching till date. Will that help you to suggest/change the advise in my case? Regards,
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Doxycycline is not indicated Detailed Answer: Hi. Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I won't advocate it for this condition. regards Dr. Kakkar