Suggest treatment for kidney disease at stage 4

I am 74 yrs old and was just diagnosed with kidney disease, stage 4. My son searched the web and he told me to go to a nutritionist. I do have an appointment with a nephrologist on 3/6/14. Should I wait to see the specialist before seeing to a nutritionist?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertension with Chronic Kidney Disease Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern .We need to rule out Chronic Kidney Disease, which can occur in patients with long standing hypertension. Before you start any dietary modifications or treatment , it is important that we confirm the diagnosis .You need to get Renal Function Tests, Electrolytes and Ultrasound to look for any changes of Chronic Kidney Disease.So i would advice that you see your nephrologist first, who can do a detailed evaluation. Meanwhile kindly watch your urine output. Watch for uraemic symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc. Try avoiding Potassium rich foods like Citrus fruits etc.In case you are having decreased urine output, you might need sodium and water restriction to avoid volume overload. Hope It Helps.Kindly attach any available investigations and ask in case of any query. Dr. Kavita Paul