Suggest treatment for itcy skin warts

Jan 2014

My daughter who is almost eleven had what I thought was a wart on her finger. We treated it accordingly and it went away. Now there appears to be the same thing happening on her knees and elbows and on other parts of her hands. The wart treatments did not help. They are itchy at times and seem to be spreading. When she was seven, we found her to have vitiligo on her genitals, but it has not spread. Could this be related? Could it be some kind of fungal virus?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload a picture of the lesions Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Warts are infections caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and they can spread from one part of the body to another by auto-innoculation. Warts are unpredictable in that some times they can resolve on there own and at other times they are resistant to almost all forms of treatment. Treatment is usually by destructive modes: Electrocautery/radiofrequency, Cryotherapy, CO2 Laser, Topical Cantharidin Or TCA application etc. Most of the times these modes of treatment are enough but some times inspite of the best efforts they can be very hard to cure completely. Immunotherapy is one promising therapy by which resistant warts are eliminated by generating an immume response against them. One example of this is by injecting candida antigen into the mother wart, following which body develops a systemic immune response against warts and thereby even distant warts (those which were not even injected) are cured. You can discuss about this with your treating dermatologist. Can you please upload a picture of the lesions so that i can have a look at? Vitiligo on her genitals and warts are unrelated. Hope this information helps you take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itcy skin warts 12 minutes later
I am not sure if they are warts at all. Could she have some sort of autoimmune system the hair loss at 5, vitiligo at 7, and now these bumps? The bumps do not look like warts....more like some reddish raised pimples, or a couple that look like a white head, and some that are flesh colored and I am not sure how to upload pics. I am not that computer savvy. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keratosis pilaris Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep a possibility of Keratosis Pilaris judging from your description. Keratosis pilaris are small, grouped, rough papules/bumps which are commonly present on extensors like elbows and knee, specially in those who have dry skin. Sliding your hand over them gives a crater like feeling. Examining them closely with a lens will reveal a central plug in which the hair is coiled/trapped. They are benign and they would resolve/improve with a topical intensive moisturizer (containing urea 10-20%) twice or thrice daily. An oral Vit A 25000 IU once daily after meals for 1-2 months also can be given in this condition regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itcy skin warts 1 hour later
just one more question.......she doesn't have dry skin at all, but how does this happen? What causes it and is it common to just "appear" on different parts of her body?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer: KPs /Localised Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris Detailed Answer: Hi. This usually happens on the elbows and knees and extensor parts of the body like outer arms and outer thighs which are relatively dry parts of the body OR it can also happen as part of localised Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris. I would advice that you see a dermatologist OR may be get a skin biopsy for a confirmatory diagnosis. take care regards