Suggest treatment for infected lump on buttocks

General Surgeon
I have a lump in my left buttock cheek more towards the left hip and it is very painful and getting more so. Sometimes difficult to sit. My doc said there is nothing to do for it but gave me some antibiotics but those didn't help. Is there anything new out there to help with tHis? I am 65 yrs old. Cannot see the lump but can feel it. Lightly rubbing over the top produces pain also.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pus accumulation. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Are you able to attach a photo of it? It would be much easier to give precise answer. Symptoms mentioned by you definitely indicate some kind of lump which is infected. Due to pus accumulation you get pain, redness and hardness in the lump area. Such lump is usually a being skin lesion like infected sebaceus cyst or hair follicle inflammation. If this lump is between the buttocks, pilonidal cyst can be the reason. If the lump is quite large, should be incised and pus drained. Antibiotics wont help if the pus is inside. Please consult a surgeon with this condition. Hope this will help. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infected lump on buttocks 4 minutes later
Cannot be seen. It is not red or anything like that. I can only feel it. It is not anywhere near the tailbone. It is located just above the left hip but on the cheek. It feels like about the size of a nickel or quarter.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: If its not visible, than ultrasound should be done. If any fluid will be detected, can be punctured with needle or incised and drained. Please ask your doctor about soft tissues ultrasound. Regards.