Suggest treatment for high blood sugar level with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides

I am 85 male. i went for general tests. reports enclosed. i am diabetic. i use Human Mixtard 15 units insulin daily morning. i wish to know the staus of my health. do i need to consult any cardiologist or general physian. or can you prescribe any medicne. presently i have no complaints ecxept general weakness. do i need further cardio tests.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: needs physician opinion Detailed Answer: Hello sir, Thanks for your query. Your investigations show high fasting and post prandial blood sugars and elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. The dose of insulin has to be increased. You will have to be started on evening dose of insulin. Also you ll have to be started on drugs that reduce cholesterol. You would need further evaluation. Please get the following investigations and consult your primary physician - serum creatinine, urine routine, serum TSH, serum electrolytes, ECG. If there is a need for cardiologist intervention, you can see him after the tests, if required. This is only to further evaluate so that we don't miss anything. Don't worry too much. Nothing really serious. Most important take a dietician opinion for diabetic and low fat diet. Please cut down on sugars, sweets until then. Also walk regularly if you are able to do it, at least half an hour a day for five days a week. Wish you good health sir.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood sugar level with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides 23 hours later
Thanks Dr. Varma. As suggested I consulted a physician. He did not prescribe any tests. But changed insulin as follows. 25 units morning and 15 evening. And further advised zoryl m2 morning and evening. And also statix 10 mg. one tablet in the evening. He didn't specify the time limit. He asked me to take them for two weeks. Now dr., how long should I take the above medicines. Is it life time, or should the dosage be changed after some time. When should I again go for all the tests. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please continue the medication Detailed Answer: Hello sir, good that you have consulted the doctor early. Please follow the medication as advised .you ll need to consult him after 15 days to see how your sugars gave responded to treatment change. Regarding continuation of treatment you ll have to continue medication lifelong . Whether insulin or oral tablets again would depend on sugar . Please go for regular once in three months check up after your sugars are controlled after 15 days