Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue

Excellent

Question
About four days, i felt a little discomfort on the left side of tongue and thought it was just a sore. I had a look and saw white patches. Not usual sore like.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need a course of anti-fungal treatment Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. I have seen the uploaded pictures, which suggest that the milky white, painless patches are due to fungal infection (a type of yeast called Candida). Since the oral cavity is an extension of the food pipe- it is possible that the infection may have affected the food pipe also. A 3-4 weeks' course of an anti-fungal drug, such as, Fluconazole will eradicate the fungal infection and result in complete cure. In addition, a 4 weeks' course of a Probiotic, such as, Lactobacilli, along with Vitamin B supplements will help. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe the advised treatment in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 7 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. I have made an appointment to see a doctor the day after tomorrow. I should also add that there is a certain kind if warmish sensation radiating from that patch. In the meantime, before, i can the medication, will gaggaging with listerine help? Thanking you again.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Listerine gargles will help Detailed Answer: Vague sensory feelings are common with fungal infection. Gargling with Listerine will help in maintaining oral hygiene and also prevent secondary bacterial infection, but will NOT heal fungal infection. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 1 minute later
Thank you, Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 minute later
Brief Answer: My peasure Detailed Answer: You are most welcome, dear friend. I will be happy to be of help to you in future too.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 41 minutes later
Hi Doctor, sorry to trouble you again. Is lactobacilli found in yogurt? Just need to clarify this point.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yoghurt contains lactobacilli Detailed Answer: Yes. Lactobacilli is found in yoghurt, but in much less quantity than you require.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 3 hours later
Thank you, doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: My pleasure Detailed Answer: You are most welcome, my friend.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 2 days later
Went to the oral surgeon who says it is burning mouth syndrome. I am confused.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection is the cause of your BMS Detailed Answer: Hi Friend, I fully agree with your doctor's opinion. However, Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS) is NOT a diagnosis, but a GENERALIZED TERM USED for a painful, frustrating condition often described as a scalding sensation in the tongue, lips, palate, or throughout the mouth. Further, there are many different potential causes of burning mouth syndrome. Each cause- fungal infection being one of them - is treated differently. The typical white patches on your tongue- causing BMS- are due to fungal infection. Your doctor gave you a generalized diagnosis, while I gave a SPECIFIC one causing BMS. A 3-4 weeks' course of anti-fungal drug will cure the fungal infection (Burning Mouth Syndrome). Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 10 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. I told her specifically what it was - she prescribed a medicines including chinese stuff. I am really frustrated with the medical services here. The holidays begin now and those departments are closed. In the meantime, do you iodine gargle - 16 drops to 200 ml of water will help? Thank you, doctor. I am very frustrated with the standard of medical sevices here in China. Now the holidays begin till feb 6 and all departments are closed. Will gargle with iodine help? 16 drops to 200 ml of water for the time being? I am lost ...

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Buy Fluconazole tablets from a chemist Detailed Answer: I understand your problems and predicament. Iodine gargles will give you only symptomatic relief, but will NOT cure the underlying disease. I am sure you have chemists selling allopathic drugs. Please ask any chemist to give you Fluconazole (150mg) tablets. Take one tablet daily after breakfast for 3 weeks, which will cure the infection completely. Take care

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 8 minutes later
They don't sell it here in China. I told thr doctor to prescribe these but she was not listening. Instead she prescribed a whole lot of stuff that i am not sure what they are - besides i speak only limited chinese. Anyway, i am using tea tree oil and clove oil as s gargle, the drug you prescribed cannot be sold over the counter here in china. Thanks doctor, for your kindness.

Brief Answer: Chinese Brands of Fluconzole are given below Detailed Answer: I am really sorry that I cannot help you further. However, the following brands of Fluconazole, manufactured by Chinese companies, are given below :- 氟康唑 - 林恒药业 Fluconazole - Linheng Pharm [ 林恒药业 Linheng Pharm ] 氟康唑 fluconazole 适应症: 口咽部和食道念珠菌感染 ;播散性念珠菌病 ;念珠菌外阴阴道炎。尚可用于... 氟康唑 - 民生 Fluconazole - Minsheng [ 民生药业 Minsheng Pharm ] 氟康唑 fluconazole 适应症: 深部真菌感染,包括全身性念珠菌病,隐球菌感染。可用于正常人或艾滋病、器... 氟康唑 - 华靳制药 Fluconazole - Huajin Pharm [ 华靳制药 Huajin Pharm ] 氟康唑 fluconazole 适应症: 深部真菌感染,如隐球菌病(脑、肺、皮肤感染)。全身性真菌感染,包括腹膜... 氟康唑-益康制药 Fluconazole-Yi Kang MIMS药理分类: 抗真菌药 Antifungals 依利康 Yi Li Kang MIMS药理分类: 抗真菌药 Antifungals wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection on tongue 2 hours later
Much thanks!

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: My pleasure Detailed Answer: Most welcome, my friend