Suggest treatment for folliculitis over the gluteal region

Dermatologist
Question
I have redness and oozing on my glutinous XXXXXXX . Is there a topical treatment available?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis gluteal region Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. You seem to have developed folliculitis over the gluteal region. Now this is basically a bacterial infection of the root of the hair follicle. Such an infection can develop due to pulling of the hair over the area. You need to keep the affected area clean and dry. Clean it with lukewarm saline water twice a day and apply a topical antibiotic cream like nmmupirocin or neosporin over it twice a day. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it. Wear cotton undergarments to decrease further trauma. If the lesion tends to persist even after this treatment, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any clarifications Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for folliculitis over the gluteal region 5 minutes later
These are followup photos of my symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached pictures. You have developed a fungal infection of the natal cleft region which is a candidal infection. You need to keep the affected area clean and dry. Apply an antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected area twice a day. In addition, use an antifungal dusting powder containing clotrimazole over the affected area twice a day which will help in keeping the affected area dry as well as curing the infection. In addition, you can take oral antihistamines like benadryl if you have associated itching. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it. Take bath regularly. Wear cotton undergarments and cotton clothes in order to decrease sweating. Hope it help Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul