Suggest treatment for elevated SGPT and SGOT levels

my mothers sgtp is 200 and sgop is 160 her ggtp is also high. sugar 118. cholesterol 210. ultrasensitve tsh 5.62, she is 58 years old , Diet habbits - vegetarian and typical north indian diet
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Few suggestions listed sir/ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your mother's reports and am assuming you want help with possible causes for the high values. I shall surely help you with this in an orderly manner in order to address all the raised values individually. First, starting with the deranged liver function. An elevated SGPT and SGOT indicates some liver abnormality, and would like to first advise an abdominal and pelvis ultrasound with special emphasis on the liver. The ultrasound will help in confirming any inflammation of the liver which should be expected. Once this is done, we will have to conduct a few other more specific investigations to look for infections (eg. various hepatitis types) and treat them accordingly. I would also like to ask if your mother is on any medications as of now, as you have failed to mention this information in your query. Various medications can also cause an alteration in normal liver function. Another possible cause that may be considered after infections and medications have been ruled out as causes, is the elevated cholesterol level. Now coming to the cholesterol level; if your mother is not on any medication to control her cholesterol then the diagnosis would be as follows: your mother seems to have a border-line cholesterol level which will have to be treated with the help in weight loss and increased physical activity and daily exercise for at least 30-60 minutes. Medication to control cholesterol may not be required at this level. But if she is on cholesterol-lowering medication, then the only suggestion would be weight loss. As for the TSH, thyroid medication will certainly be required for the same. But this will have to be decided by her doctor only after an elaborate evaluation, so commenting on the treatment would be inaccurate. Please also mention the exact help you need sir/ma'am, as you have been very helpful in providing all the information in detail, but have not listed the exact help you need. I hope you found my response helpful and I look forward to helping you further. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for elevated SGPT and SGOT levels 0 minute later
she has been taking general bp medication. Are the liver tests a very alarming thing to worry about. I mean should I consult a general physician nearby or take here to the hospital and on monday. Also, Is it curable?? Also, you have not hinted at the blood sugar level. Is 118 a XXXXXXX alarming level or with a few days of efficient consideration this can be overcome? Please revert to both the issues in detail. I dont have any follow up questions leftpost this.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: I shall surely help you with that information Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. The liver profile is not a very alarming one, and her levels are not too high. I am either suspecting this to be a reaction to medications, or a developing infection. You can take her to a general physician sir, and he/she will advise you accordingly, nothing to get worried about. She has a simple condition, that can be easily treated. And yes, it is surely curable sir, do not worry about that at all. For now, just exclude oily/fried/fatty food from her diet. Her blood sugar level is again border-line sir, and with such levels doctors do not normally medication. I would actually recommend waiting and addressing the liver issue first sir, as in some cases the blood sugar levels rise due to infections or stress caused by the infection. So I would recommend a retesting once the liver issue has been successfully treated. For now, we can ignore the blood sugar levels sir. And this levels is too mild sir, so absolutely nothing to worry about. You can ask me as many follow-up questions as you wish sir. I am always available to help sir. I hope I have successfully answered your queries. Please write back to me for any further clarifications, or if I have not explained anything well enough sir. Best wishes.