Suggest treatment for degenerative bulging disc?

I had a bad car accident 3 yrs ago and as a result I have bulging discs degenerative disc disease and dad in my right thigh which has spread to my left thigh I recently returned to work and I have found that the back pain I am experiencing has greatly increased. I have no health insurance but am fortunate to have a Dr who sees me and prescribes neurontin 600 mg qid and Percocet 5/325 tid. This worked for awhile but is not effective any more and without getting a new mri she cannot adjust my meds. My m ri was in Oct2011. Do u think the mri will have changed or do u think I've developed a tolerance to the meds or maybe it's just returning to work? Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It may have changed.... Detailed Answer: Dear, I went through your query with diligence and I understand your concerns. Pain medicines especially opioid analgesic (percocet) is known for tolerance and dependance. In simple words, you would develop tolerance and dependence as you continue to use them for longer duration. However the time duration at which one finds tolerance and dependence cannot be determined based on others experience. Since you have been on this drug for 3 years, oxycodone tolerance is my first probable reason for increased pain. Degenerative bulging disc cannot be rectified with medicines. It can worsen with time. Follow up MRI is therefore essential in all patients with disc disease. Unless and until you been bending down to lift weights or your travel to work is a bumpy ride, I wouldn't point my fingers on work as the cause. In a nut shell, drug tolerance is most likely the cause of increased pain. But I agree with your doctors action here. You are already on maximum dose of neurontin. Percocet dose may be hiked. But before we do that, it is really important to have a follow up MRI. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards