Suggest treatment for constipation and gas?
User rating for this question
My 74-year old husband is constipated... last BM about 4 days ago. He also complains of painful gas in his stomach area. He took Dulcolax 2 evenings in a row, then a glycerine suppository a little while ago, both with no results. He is quite inactive, being generally unsteady on his feet. He tends to eat and drink little. Thank you for any advice you can give. Stool softener?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bowels obstruction is possible. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. There is a possibility that your husband has no constipation but bowels obstruction. 4 days is long enough to give it a try. If no effects after all mentioned treatment, he should visit ER. Obstruction is more possible if he has gas obstruction (sounds like painful gas can be such obstruction), his abdomen is bloated, his heart rate is over 100 and his urine is dark. Nausea and vomiting can be also present. Please note that such obstruction if left alone, will cause dehydration and infection and can be life threatening. That is why I`m asking you to take your husband to the ER and do not wait any longer. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
People also viewed
- Suggest treatment for joint pain with constipation and gas
- Pain in penis and anus whilesitting
- Elephantiasis vitamin supplements
- What is the treatment for constipation and gas formation
- Outside of anus ouside ring
- Puss oozing at anus
- Can lamisil elevate prolactin
- Suggest treatment for constipation in a baby
- Precautions to prevent elephantiasis
- Taxol and elevated ggt levels
- Suggest treatment for constipation and gas
- Reddish ring in newborn anus
- Passing water from anus
- Suggest treatment for bloating and constipation
- Fluconazole and elevated sgot