Suggest treatment for asthma and coughing with wheezing?

I've been coughing for three months. Xray was clear. Pain in upper back & ribcage, upper stomach region. Perfume taste in mouth. Cough so hard & deep. Wheeze & feelings of not being able to breathe. Have lupus SLE, asthma, GERD, IBS, Anxiety disorder.Sinus drips are clear. First running nose & then dry. What can be the cause of my continuous coughing? Perfume taste in mouth?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bronchial Asthma Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. When you already have asthma , coughing with wheezing is most likely due to that only. More over, your X-ray chest is also clear. So , infection is unlikely. Dry Cough can be because of : 1. Allergic Bronchitis 2. Bronchial Asthma. I suggest you to get a Pulmonary Function Test. Also , discuss with your doctor regarding adding a Asthalin inhaler and a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast. If required by clinical evaluation , you may also be prescribed inhaled steroids. Even a bronchodilator like Doxophylline can be given for short term , if you have wheezes. Avoid fumes , pollution. Don't smoke in case you do. Some times , GERD also causes reflux and dry cough , specially in the morning time, which may be associated with bad taste in mouth. I prefer to add combination of Pantoprazole and domperodone once a day in such cases. However , cough of GERD is not the kind of that you are describing. Get in touch with your primary care physician , get evaluated , as clinical examination would help a lot in making your diagnosis. My likely diagnosis is Bronchial Asthma based on history. I hope i am able to solve your query , ask me if you have further queries. Stay Healthy.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for asthma and coughing with wheezing? 21 minutes later
I Use Advair Diskus 250 Twice Daily, Including An Albuterol Inhaler. I've Been Taking Benzonatate Pills For The Cough, Also. My Cough Is Mainly Worse At Bedtime & In The Morning. Sometimes, Uncontrollable...No Matter The Medications. I Use Fluconazle Nasal Spray & Saline Nasal Mist. My Eyes Are Dry, Burning & Itching, Mainly After Sleeping. A Feeling Of "Hair" Like In Esophagus, When Swallowing. The Xray Was Conducted On: (11/01/13) At Hospital. Glands In Neck, Armpit (Left) Swollen & Painful. Could These Be An Allergy Based Cause Of Symptoms? Could This Be COPD? I Have An Appointment With A Pulmonary Specialist On: (01/14/14). I'm Just Concerned & Have Had Many Sleepless Nights, Due To The Ongoing Coughing. My Mother Had COPD. Died Of Cardio/ Pulmonary Arrest. My Aunt (Mother's Sister) Died From COPD. My Uncle ( Mother's & Aunt's Brother) Died Of Asthma/COPD. My Grandmother (Mother's..Mother) Died Of CHF. My Father Died Of Stomach Cancer.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details Follows Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Swollen nodes in arm pit requires evaluation. They can occur in infections , tuberculosis and in some cases in lymphoma and other blood related disorders. An infection can trigger an acute attack of asthma. I suppose , you should be given antibiotics for a week so that , infection can be treated. Enlarged Lymph nodes will disappear once the infection is treated. Still if they persist , a biopsy might be required. You should also get an ECG done. You might require cough suppressants like codeine. Yes , these symptoms can be related to allergy. And also , this could be COPD if you are a smoker , and that is why i have advised you for a pulmonary function test. I am glad you are meeting a pulmonologist , he will make a correct prescription for you following investigations and examination. I wish you a speedy recovery. If you do not have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.