Suggest treatment for acute withdrawal symptoms of codeine

Hi l have been addicted to codeine for 2 years now 30 mg 15 a day , the past few days it's been hard to get them so only had 10 a day for the past three days and I feel awful depressed can't sleep and pains in legs ,I had to come home from work,the reason I started taking them was it stop me drinking all the time and boredom
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please read below. Detailed Answer: Hello & welcome to HCM! I have read your question carefully and can see that currently you are having acute withdrawal of codeine. The problem is that the reduction of daily intake has been significant and so the body is having all these symptoms.. Usually when I have such patients in my clinic, I go about giving symptomatic treatment (I donot think thou want to stop them altogether).. you did I not mention if you are taking any medicine to help I take that you are not on anything right now. According to the usual process of withdrawal, one has severe cramps, both in muscle and abdomen, running nose, loose stools, mood changes and sleeping problems. 1. I find that pain killer like- diclofenac sodium, 100 mg thrice a day, along with a good multi vitamin is helpful. 2. For abdominal complaints I have seen patients feel good with twice a day dose of rapbeprazole with domperidone combination, half hour before meals. 3. For loose stools ,( if they are there )one is recommended to take adequate water/ liquids, and ORS all the day long. This will prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. 4. Sleep is a major tricky issue...most of the patients are able to sleep with 2-4 mg lorazepam, but some times higher dose may be needed espically in the begining, so, it is usually tailored according to patient's response...your doctor would know how to do it. If someone is off from his work, then even clonazepam 0.5 mg - 1 mg can be given in day time. ( one should not drive or operate a machinery when take this in day time to prevent accident). The dose of sleeping pills is gradually reduced according to response. I can understand that it is difficult to work on this condition, so, if possible you take 3-4 days off. 5. The above regimen, along with clonidine 0.1 mcg TDS, (tapered every day / according to need)., is good. 6. It is good to get blood test- routine CBC, lipid profile, liver & kidney function test ( to see if they are affected). Patienst has to visit the doctor almost every day or on alternate days till the withdrawal is well controlled. Please donot worry, this phase will be over and with drugs you will be able to feel better. You should see a doctor, and discuss the above regimn, he would know how to go about. ## One need not take anything for depressive feeling in the begining, as usually it goes away completely after withdrawal is over. If it stil persist after all other symptoms settle down, for like 4-6 weeks, then one may need to treat it. ### I also go with injectable pain killers for a day or two to control it in short time.. # You must try to stop intake of all addictive substances, shifting from one addiction to another is harming your body, moreover it is not going to take away is just an illusion. Hope the reply is useful Feel free to ask more questions for clarification Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychaitry