Suggest treatment for acute panic attacks

Hello. I'm a 25 year old male. I'm a police officer. Over a year ago I had a panic attacks wh.ich I saw help for but it seems my anexity has never stopped. I also have a hard time falling asleep. I also have palpitations but they seem to get worse or stronger recently with a racing heart all the time. Now the past 2 or so months I started having right pain in my right groin that seemed to go down my right leg. i saw a doctor and they stated it might be a back issue. A month later i am now experiencing pain in both of my legs and knees. my dosent get worse with rest. left knee went numb once. The pain is mild but does not get better with rest. now I am starting to have flashes of dizziness and chest pain. And some times feel as if I can't can't get a full breath. I've been to the doctor again and they suggest that it may be a spine problem or back issue but I do not have any back pain. I've asked if I could have a clot but they have suggested I show no signs but did no tests other than checking for swelling. my question is is it possible it could be something other than my back and should I see other opinions or go could it be a back issue.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI spine and Myelogram will establish the cause Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. 1. Treatment of acute panic reactions (some of your symptoms- such as, lack of sleep, palpitations, rapid beating of the heart, momentary dizziness and chest pain- are suggestive of recurrent panic reactions) requires anti-anxiety drugs, such as, clonazepam or alprazolam (to name a few) IN GRADUALLY INCREASING DOSES, till such time an effective dose is reached. So, let your doctor increase the dose gradually till you start showing improvement. 2. Regarding pain/numbness in both lower limbs, backache occurs only when there is a bulging disc compressing over the nerves or, there is a vertebral collapse. However, there are other possibilities (such as, demyelination, problem within the spinal cord, presence of a cyst/growth within the spinal cord or, spinal canal stenosis (narrowing) compressing over the spine) responsible for your problems. There is no back ache or back problems in these conditions. 3. It would therefore be advisable to get an MRI of the lower spine and- if required- Myelogram to detect the exact cause of your problems. 4. The information provided by you, does not suggest the possibility of clots. You may therefore consult a neurologist and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal