Suggest treatment for Klebsiella in stool

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
my son 10 month old is having heavy growth Klebsiella in stool ....i am really worried as i his pediatrician told me to wait and to do nothing ....pls advse
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends on his symptoms Detailed Answer: Hi Klebsiella is a opportunistic pathogen . It's normally seen in human stools. But in your kids case is resistant type ESBL. This means that this bacteria has been acquired from a health care setting. If I were to be his treating doctor, I would recommend giving him probiotics like lactoferrin to help in regaining normal flora in the intestines. If he is symptomatic it's better to give him another course of antibiotics (among highly sensitive in the report). Describe his symptoms if any and I might be able to comment further. Wishing him speedy recovery. Dr Arun
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Klebsiella in stool 17 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX , He is asymmptomatic now , but 2 weeks a go he had high fever with diarrhea and casual vomiting , i gave him intermediary antibiotic and all stop but after 7 days of antibiotic he had again 2 soft stool (verry)and i did again his stoll culture , that because at the first culture come up with klebsiella oxytoci.Please advise , i start giving him probiotic pediatric and i start with khalf spoon a day for 5 days , for how long i shall give him treatment with probiotic? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Arun 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: for a week atleast Detailed Answer: Continue probiotics for atleast a week. From your description I don't think you need to give a second course of antibiotics. You can wait as your pediatrician said. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Klebsiella in stool 1 hour later
If i Waite it does not become worst ?? i do not want him to suffer , in plus he had nothing to do with the hospitals . he never was admitted so i do not understand how he got this klebsiella .please advise
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Klebsiella in stools as long as remains in the intestines will do no harm. So no question of getting worse. The only issue is this is a ESBL which is acquired directly or indirectly say from another person who has contact with hospital. I suggest you to remain patient and repeat stool culture after a course of probiotics to see if the flora has changed. Your kid will not get worse by waiting. Regards Arun
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Klebsiella in stool 47 hours later
Dear DR XXXXXXX , I have done other stool culture in a diff lab and it is showing positive Campylobacter . It is really annoying me as up to know i have 3 diff results . Please advise . Thank you
Answered by Dr. Arun 3 hours later
Brief Answer: do not worry Detailed Answer: Normally stool has plenty and varieties of bacteria. Do not worry. If your kid is improving or having occasional loose stools, just complete a week of probiotics.