Suggest treatment for CLL

I am a 49 year old female with CLL My WBC has gone from 60,000 to 214,000 in about 10 months. I have not had any treatment. other than tightness behind the knees and mild lymph node swelling , i feel pretty good. any advice, concerned that if i treat my last months and years will be with less quality of life due to the treatment with not much hope of a cure
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer: May not need treatment now Detailed Answer: hi Thanks for your query. it is true that CLL is not curable as of now but there are many effective treatments, many with tolerable safety profile with good quality of life. Most patients survive years. There are many new therapies coming up which are going to extend survival even more. In your case, it appears that treatment may not be necessary at this point, particularly if the hemoglobin is above 110 g/l. The only thing is that your lymphocyte doubling time is around 5-6 months. But that alone is not enough criteria for treatment. You can still be followed up closely and treatment started when you have symptoms or develop low hemoglobin or platelets. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.