Suggest the medication to postpone periods?

Question
My wife's last period date was 26th July, 2013. Next cycle is supposed to fall in 26th August,2013. But we want to push it for some celebration reasons. She's is on Copper T as well, we want to push the dates anytime later 26th August,2013.

Kindy suggest whether this can be done thru Contraceptive pills? If yes kindly suggest the name of the pills which assures atleat 90% post ponement.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Norethisterone 3 days prior to ex. date

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

Progesterone-only pills can be used for postponement in period. Considering the fact that your wife is a HBP patient, these pills can be used in patients with adequately controlled hypertension and with no other complicating factor and they don't have any significant interaction with temsan.

Any preparation of norethisterone 5mg can be used thrice daily starting at least 3 days prior to the expected date of menstruation till the date you don't want her menstruation. Period will come in 2-4 days after stopping the tablets.

Although it's safe to use, I will still advise you to discuss with your physician and then take these tablets with a proper prescription as there may be some factor which he/she can better understand regarding hypertension.

Good Luck
Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
If you had any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Suggest the medication to postpone periods? 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

Now which one is the medical pill you are suggesting?

Progesterone or norethisterone 5 mg?

Pl clarifiy?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
same tablets

Detailed Answer:
Progesterone is a category of drugs and norethisterone belongs to it.

You can ask for norethisterone tablets 5mg.

Follow-up: Suggest the medication to postpone periods? 5 minutes later
One last question doctor:

What are the expected side effects for this medication? If we start using these tablets from 5 days or a week prior to the expected date? Does this tablet have any implication on BP tablets?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No major side effect

Detailed Answer:
Expected side effects with short term use include nausea, vomiting, bloating, mild depression and change in appetite. Any antiemetic will help in overcoming the nausea and vomiting.

You should take these medications for the shortest possible period. If you take upto 5 days, it will be okay.

It does not has any significant interaction with BP tablets and can be used in HBP patients if BP is well controlled on medication.

Follow-up: Suggest the medication to postpone periods? 42 hours later
Doctor:

She got the D&C on 1st May,2013, after that she got the next cycle started on 1st XXXXXXX 2013, then 26th July, 2013. Now we are confused when to start the consumption of tablets?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
23 August2013

Detailed Answer:
I will advise you to start the tablets on 23 August, 2013 and continue till the date you don't want to make her bleed.

Follow-up: Suggest the medication to postpone periods? 1 hour later
Doctor,

I have looked for the norethisterone tablets 5mg, at 2 phamacists looks unavailable.

Please mention the names/brands of such tablets.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
sysron n

Detailed Answer:
sysron n and primolut n are common brand names for norethisterone tablets. Please take a prescription from a doctor to get it.

Follow-up: Suggest the medication to postpone periods? 25 hours later
Doctor, I have got SANDOZ by Novartis. It has Norethindrone Acetate 5mg.

Is it ok doctor?

Brief Answer:
okay

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is okay. Its dosage schedule is similar to norethisterone.