Suggest suitable treatment for diarrhea with stinging pain in stomach

My husband has had diarrhea for the part couple days, with stinging pain in his stomach and he cashes now his diarrhea looks and smells like urine .
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastroenteritis needs management Detailed Answer: hello XXXX! Thank you for asking, I read your query and I appreciate your concern about your husband's diarrhea. I want you to know that diarrhoea has many factors and all of them are self resolving until and unless there is some chronic gut issues. Medicines, recent travel, some change in food habit, exposure to animals like cats dogs and turtles, recent camping or swimming or marine designation or poor hygiene etc are some major amongst many causes for the diarrhea. Now that you mentioned fowl smelling with it and history of couple of days it is being presented as classical gastroenteritis. I recommend: -a BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) -continuous rehydration with gatorade, etc, -rest with prophylactic use of antibiotic Ciprofloxacin. You may need a written prescription for antibiotic. -some good probiotics -Meanwhile keep the lean protein diet and lactose free use yogurt in dairy products and increase the intake of Fiber -Avoid anti-diarrheal agents as they do more harm than good. I am sure this will help. Usually the diarrhea is viral and gets better without any need for antibiotics. If the diarrhea persists for more than 3 more days despite as I directed you to do, then seek the help of nearby gastroenterologist and infectious disease specialist for further work up. Good Luck and Get well soon, if you have any more questions for me please feel free to ask, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take good care of your husband and may the odds be always in your favor. Best Wishes Dr. S Khan