Suggest specific test to be done to diagnose actual problem for throat infection

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
My mom name - XXXXXXX XXXXXXX age 61 years, she is continously facing dry cough and irritation in throat from last one year. Treatment was earlier started with ENT specialist because she having earlier compliant on her nose, post treatment she got relief from nose problem but throat infection still continous. Now she is on Ayurvedic medicine but problem is still not resolved. Request your suggestion on same what next to be done, can you recommend which specific test to be performed in order to diagonise actual problem and also let me know which specialist doctor to see....
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please meet your ent doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello Before i can help you, could you please tell me a few things like What was her diagnosis before the surgery? What surgery was done? Is she on any other medications? Does she have change in voice or difficulty in breathing? Is she diabetic or does she have any thyroid problems? Is she over weight? Does she have acidity or gas problems? I would be in a better position to help you if you let me know the answers to these questions. Thanks

Follow-up: Suggest specific test to be done to diagnose actual problem for throat infection 1 hour later
Hi doctor, she had not undergone any surgery, ENT specilaist asked to do citi scan, post scan it is observed as Sinus problem, which was treated after medication, she is not facing breathing problem at all now, weight is around 68 kg, she is not diabetic, thyroid not checked yet, no change in voice, yes she do have slight acidity and gas problem.......actually am now worried because so prolonged medicine she is not able to recover fully hence wanted to perform detailed diagonisis of her entire body which will help us understand actual problem in her body.

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: please meet your ent doctor again! Detailed Answer: Hello There can still be many causes for her cough... First it can be recurrence of the sinus infection since many times even after surgery the sinus gets infected! Secondly it can be due to the acid reflux and gas, but then the cough will be more at night. Third it can be an early bronchitis, which is a swelling of the lower airways, and this causes the cough Last reason, although rare is that she may be having tuberculosis (TB) of the lung. All these conditions will need to be ruled out by getting some tests done like complete blood count, sputum for AFB, etc. I would like you to meet your ent doctor again, he may do an endoscopy of the nose and throat on your mother and guide you further. Thanks

Follow-up: Suggest specific test to be done to diagnose actual problem for throat infection 11 minutes later
Thanks doctor, do you recommend me to see ENT or any other specialist......i want to do all test done in one go to find exact root cause as it is troubling me these days

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please meet your Ent doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello First we should rule out that her previous problem,that is sinusitis is not recurring again, so i would like you to meet your ent doctor first. If you want to do the tests first , then i would like you to do the following tests like Blood _ total count and differential count , ESR ,AEC Sputum for culture and AFB staining Chest xray Blood thyroid levels like T3 , T4 , and TSH You can do all these tests before meeting your doctor but i would still like you to meet your ent doctor first. Thanks

Follow-up: Suggest specific test to be done to diagnose actual problem for throat infection 24 minutes later
Thanks doctor, if you r from Mumbai, can i meet you personally, if yes please sms me your details, my mobile number - 0000

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am sorry Detailed Answer: Hello, I am sorry, I cannot disclose my practice details. This is against the company policy. You can contact me online through WWW.WWWW.WW There are many good ENT hospitals in Chennai including Hindu hospital etc There are many good ENT doctors like Dr XXXXXXX , Dr XXXXXXX etc You can get there contacts online. Take care!