Suggest some medicine to maintain hemoglobin level

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello doctor,

This is XXXXXXX here. From last 5 to 6months i am getting problems in my CBC test. Hemoglobin is low. I am trying to make it better by taking iron XXXXXXX food but it didn't help me. i am writing my CBC report below:

RBC- 5.21 H
HEMOGLOBIN-10.9 L
HEMATOCRIT-37.9 N
MCV-72.7 L
MCH-20.9 L
MCHC-28.7 L
RCW- 17.2 H
PLATELET COUNT-150 N
MPV-13.0 H
WBC-8.3 N

WBC DIFFERENTIAL COUNT

NEUTROPHILS- 82 H
EOSINOPHILS- 2 N
LYMPHOCYTES-15 L
MONOCYTES-1 L
BASOPHILS- 0 N

MORPHOLOGY

RBC- Mild anisopoikilocytosis. Microcytic hypochromic with ovalocytes
WBC- Normal morphology
PLATELETS- Adequate in smear. Present in clumps.

Kindly help me and suggest me something fruitful that either i have to take iron supplements with medicine name or iron XXXXXXX food will help me.
If there is some other issue then please tell me.

Thanks & Regards

XXXXXXX

Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later

You are lactating mother. during pregnancy and lactation there is increase demand of calcium, iron protein and vitamins.

So low intake of these things during these period causes their deficiency.

You have low haemoglobin level, so you have to take iron XXXXXXX diet and iron and folic acid tablets after consulting with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest some medicine to maintain hemoglobin level 10 hours later
Thank you Doctor for advising me but i have some more question to ask that i have back pain and my hand and legs sleeps every time whenever i relax. what could be the cause for it?
some time i have seen some pink colour spot on my hand?
i feel weakness also.
now days i am taking iron XXXXXXX food and protein diet as given below:
milk- 2glass every day XXXXXXX vegetables
pomegranate 2 no everyday

Kindly suggest me that what should i add in my diet to avoid such type of problem in my blood.

We are in such area where doctor are not available.kindly suggest some iron supplements.
Further i want to know that i feed to my baby due to this i am getting this problem?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 hours later

Cause of your back pain / sleepy hands and legs might be nutritional compromise, lack of sleep, new demands from the infant and breast feeding on demand.

You have to take balanced diet XXXXXXX with fruits and vegetables, whole-grain breads / cereals, calcium-rich dairy products and protein-rich foods such as meats, fish, and legumes. This should provide an adequate amount of essential nutrients.

If you eat a reasonably healthy diet, vitamin supplements are not necessary.
"Getting your daily iron from food is preferable to taking iron supplements, which sometimes cause abdominal discomfort and constipation XXXXXXX

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries, rate and give review.

Wishing you good health...