Suggest over the counter medicine for treating loose motion?

hi, I am suffering from loose motion since morning. the stool is almost 100 percent liquid. can you suggest any medicine that I can get over the counter. i have taken a lomotil in the morning. can I continue taking it?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lomotil should be used in moderation... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is important that the cause of loose stool is found before trying medications. Well most often the cause is not serious and symptoms resolve with time; few cases will need antibiotic therapy. If there are no mucous particles in the stool, if there is no blood stains and if you don't have abdominal cramps or fever, I would suggest you take plenty of fluids along with electrolytes. You can also use sporalac tablets thrice a day for couple of days. I might also start antisecretory agents such as racecadotril tablets for added benefits. However if you find any of the aforementioned symptoms, it is advisable to consult your doctor. You will need tests on stool sample to confirm the cause and treat it accordingly. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards