Suggest medication for dry scab on back of the leg

Dec 2013

thank you Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Kanodia. I have just renewed my subscription. On your advice I made an appointment with a Vascular Specialist. He did an MRI on both legs, & there is nothing to worry about there. However he admitted me to hospital immediately.Was in for 3 days. I had IV augmentan, The hospital specialist did not replace with oral anti-biotics on my discharge. However he prescribed 10 days of curam duo. This prescription is if I think the infection returns. If there is no improvement in 2-3 days I am to go immediately to my GP, or, ER for possible admission. The rash is slowly fading & slowly diminishing. The District Nurse says the infection has gone. I have a compression stocking which the nurse comes to my home to put on, & another calls in the evening to take off. At this stage I cannot do it on my own. They have given me a XXXXXXX contraption to use & I will be trained in how to use it. The skin around the ankle is still pink & very sensitive. Is there a lotion I can use that is not a petroleum or paraffin type, to put on to moisturise & lubricate the skin, to aid in putting the stocking on.? The scab has disappeared. However there is a dry scab on the back of the leg. Point 5 by point 5. which developed last night. I have an appointment with the Vascular specialist in mid January. What should I know to look after myself. By the way I resumed 2 serrapeptase 25,000 units daily. Is that OK. ? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: kinldy see the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Welcome back to the forum. I am highly thankful to the medical team treating you, which made yourself to come out of the infection. Especially it is your good will power which made the bad event to pass away without any sequel. For the present status of the problem as you have cleared of the infection so you can stop the Serratiopeptidase tablets in next 3-5 days. These are necessary only till the scab is present. In yourself as there is only dry skin is present so therefore Serratiopeptidase can be stopped now. For the part of dry skin with scab I suggest you to apply amorphous hydrogel wound dressing gel. You can ask your nurse for the same. In some of the gels there is additional colloidal silicon is also present which is beneficial for fast recovery. This also acts as mild moisturizer to the skin. If the wound is totally healed then you can apply a medicated bland moisturizer cream without any fragrance in it. Even sometimes plane coconut oil acts as better moisturizer if the skin is completely healed. Do regular movement of leg and mild stretching and relaxing exercises which you can do even when in bed also. Take the best of nutritive diet as previously requested and also can take a vitamin and mineral supplement as advised by your nurse. If at all at any point of time there is some bump or swelling or red mark appear in future then do not try to pinch, pop or scratch it. As these things sometime are solely responsible for spread of infection. Keep your moral high you will be totally alright!! My all best wishes to you, With regards, Dr Sanjay
Follow-up: Suggest medication for dry scab on back of the leg 42 hours later
thank you very much for your encouragement & advice. Most appreciated. The leg is slowly coming right thank goodness. I am working on upper body strengthening so I can pull the stocking up. The nurse is helping with putting on the stocking with the aid of the XXXXXXX As yet we have not found a system so I can manage it by myself. We are working on it. I am a walker & want to get back to that too. Today I walked for about 20 minutes, twice. Not fast at all, but walking. Felt good and energized. Would like to increase that. I wander around the house & lie down for about 2 hours in the afternoon. I have another problem I would like to tackle now. I have had incontinence for the past 10 years, probably brought on by the medications. I go about 10 times during the night, & about each hour during the day? No medication has worked, nor cutting back on liquid intake. I have decaffeinated coffee &, decaffeinated tea for a change. I hardly drink alcohol, maybe twice a month. Any suggestions ? I am in the process of changing to another GP. (I became unhappy with the one I had). This means I have a clean slate. He is in his late 50's, & I met him when I presented at the Emergency Clinic about 4 years ago. Once again, my appreciation for all your valuable help.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kinldy see the detailed mail Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Welcome to the forum again. I am really pleased to know the further improvement in your condition. It is really a very good sign of improvement that you now started walking properly. You will definitely improve further best in next few days. Now regarding your problem of incontinence- I cam make out it as urinary incontinence form your indication. If I were your treating doctor then would have analyzed you for central and peripheral causes of the incontinence. In central causes many a times we see that due to improper central nervous system functions, the control is lost. In these cases a neurologist is the best person to take care of the problem. If the central nervous system functions are alright then thre are local factors which can cause incontinence. Most importantly in post 60 years of age it is due to weakness of muscles of pelvic floor and urinary region. I talked to my urologist colleague regarding your problem. According to him, if you can do pelvic floor exercises then it would be best for you and show the result in few weeks of time. These exercises are known as Kegel exercises and can be done in your condition too. There is no harm in doing these in present state of illness. You can see it on you tube or can read about it on internet. Even then there is generalized improvement by Kegel exercise which will help you in general. If after certain weeks to months of these exercise you are not getting better then personal examination is necessary by urologist. You will be completely alright soon. I hope these informations will help you. With all my best wishes, Dr Sanjay