Suggest home remedies for severe cough and cold in children

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor, My Daughter 3.6 years old is having sever cough and cold. Pale yellow thick substance is also coming from nose, though there is no running nose. She is having difficulty to sleep. Please suggest some medication and home remedies.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give cetirizine in prescribed dose. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. For cold, you can give syrup containing oral antihistamine such as cetirizine in prescribed dose. And for cough you need to get her examined by the pediatrician to look for any abnormal findings on lungs examination as cough medication will vary. Difficulty in sleeping is due to the nose block by the thick yellow mucus. Clear the nostrils before sleeping and feeding. You can apply OTC like 'Vicks' in little amounts on her chest and on pillow just before sleeping. Keep her nostrils open by cleaning the mucus coming out through nostrils and you can put saline nasal drops one or two into each nostril. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.