Suggest best treatment for neurocysticercosis and inflammatory granuloma in left high parietal lobe?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
Respected Doctor, My, name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX yesterday I got seizure and was admitted in hospital, where i got ct scan and eeg done, eeg was normal, but in ct scan it was reported that there was neurocysticercosis, a small inflammatory granuloma in left high parietal lobe, small ring enhancing lesion with mild perilesional edema is seen in left high parietal lobe, due to which I had a seizure a day before, I, am 15 year of age and i am also over weight i.e. 80 kg, I request you to recommend me a best treatment in this regard. Thanking you
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: LEFT PARIETAL INFECTIVE GRANULOMA Detailed Answer: DEAR MS XXXXXXX JI HELLO MY BEST WISHES FOR A SPEEDY & COMPLETE RECOVERY I have gone through your detailed medical history & CT SCANS Seizure in a young child with left parietal infective granuloma & normal EEG is not an uncommon thing now a days . May i suggest you to 1. Continue taking ANTICONVULSANTS / ANTIOEDEMA MEASURES / STEROIDS & ANALGESICS under neurological supervision . 2.ANTICONVULSANTS will continue for longer periods , (may be for about 2-3 years ) 3.Get your MRI BRAIN with contrast to reconfirm if it is NEUROCYSTICERCUS 4 If Neurocysticercosis is not confirmed on MRI BRAIN . Get your FASTING ESR/ MONTOUX TEST/ XRAY CHEST ETC to rule out any tubercular lesion . 5.If it is still not confirmed get your ELISA FOR NEUROCYSTICERCOSIS/ TB GOLD TEST 6. If neurocysticercosis is confirmed you,ll be given ALBENDAZOLE THERAPY for about 3 weeks 7 Repeat MRI BRAIN will be done after 6 weeks of therapy . 8 Avoid eating unhygenic foods especially CHINESE FOODS / CABBAGE / SALADS etc ( as unhygenic foods may contain tape worm eggs which cause neurocysticercosis . HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUERRIES THANX DR XXXXXXX K XXXXXXX DIRECTOR DEPTT. OF NEUROSURGERY

Follow-up: Suggest best treatment for neurocysticercosis and inflammatory granuloma in left high parietal lobe? 37 minutes later
is MRI necessary? or i should go through the above medicines?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 14 hours later
Brief Answer: LEFT PARIETAL INFECTIVE GRANULOMA Detailed Answer: DEAR MS XXXXXXX JI HELLO SORRY FOR UNAVOIDABLE DELAY IN ANSWERING Getting an MRI BRAIN is always better , especially to rule out other differential diagnoses like tubercular lesion etc. Though on your CT SCANS it appears as NEUROCYSTICERCOSIS (about 70-80%) Go ahead as per your neurologist . What i have suggested you is a standard protocol around the world . Thanx Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX