Suggest any cream for maintaining fair skin

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have an oily skin and I am actually on fairer side.. But off late my skin looks dull and turns little wheatesh by evening. I usually apply Seba Med for face wash and do not use any cream expect XXXXXXX cream. Can you please help me out? Provide me a cream to maintain my fair skin?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details and picutres Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for change of skin tone and bit dull looking face. For a female face is of utmost importance and biggest asset in beauty. The history provided by you is too brief to guide you best. I request you to kindly tell me certain important points: - Your age and occupation. - Your daily routine and your dietary routine. - Exposure to sunlight or computer activities per day. Do you use any sunscreen daily. - what is the grade of pigmentation. Is it darker than the covered area of body or equal tone or darker. Since how long you feel the dark and dull appearance. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of front and both sides of face areas so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). Hope to hear soon form your side. "With good health wishes" Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Suggest any cream for maintaining fair skin 41 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Nice to hear from you. Here goes my answers - - Your age and occupation. - My age is 28, and I work as a Software Engineer. - Your daily routine and your dietary routine. - My daily routine shall be - I work in office from 8:30AM to 6 PM and do aerobics for atleast half an hour. and back home and have dinner and sleep. My dietary routine - breakfast and lunch usually comprises of chapati and dinner comprises of rice n sambar. Weekends I do eat chicken and fish, but shall more of rice and ragi intake. - Exposure to sunlight or computer activities per day. Do you use any sunscreen daily. - I am usually not exposed to sunlight atleast during weekdays. Weekends yes, as sometimes me and my husband go for long drives. I usually see computer for nearly 8 hours a day. - what is the grade of pigmentation. Is it darker than the covered area of body or equal tone or darker. Since how long you feel the dark and dull appearance. - I do not have any pigmentation. Initially my skin was fair.. from nearly past 3 to 4 months it has dulled/darkened. I usually used to use Seba Med Clear face foaming fash wash and have continued to use the same. It could be because of tiredness or sometime fatigue, and I believe I should undergo some treatment to keep the freshness of the skin.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: UV protection in day ; Kojic acid cream at night Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting the details. After getting all the details and analyzing the facts provided by you, let me guide you simply for your problem: - To tell you simply, the color of the skin is due to the activity of melanocytes in the skin. These melanocytes are the cells which regularly produces color/pigment known as melanin in the skin. These are superficially present in the upper skin known as epidermis. There is a tendency in us to get higher activity of these melanocytes at the facial area according to our genetic make up. It is seen on higher side in people of Asiatic origin than in white population. So you can get that we people of Asiatic origin have more tendency to get skin darkened rather than sun burns and the reverse is present in white people who get more sun burns rather than skin darkening. This is rather a beneficial part in our skin so that it gets protected from the deleterious effects of sun light and that is why we Indians are least prone for skin cancers. So you should not take it negative manner and is basically an adjustment of the skin from deleterious effect of UV rays from different sources. Not going away from our main discussion- this kind of skin darkening is mostly temporary and depends on certain important factors – most importantly the sun exposure or the computer activities. Whenever the ultraviolet rays form either out door activities or computers is higher than certain limit, it can cause dullness and bit change in skin color. You must be wondering why it occurred at this time. So you should know that after the age of 25-30 years we get slow renewal of skin and this tendency can occur any time after the age of 25 years. I suggest you certain important points for getting better: - Diet is the first guide way to get best of your skin. Eat all types of fruits daily and these acts as natural sun protectors. - Include green leafy vegetables in your diet along with sprouts in your alternate day schedule. - Drink plenty of liquids to detoxify your body. I am happy to know that you do aerobics daily. It is a good thing to tone up our body. Do continue the same. - Use a sunscreen daily half an hour before moving out. Use a protective shield in front of your desktop or lap tops and keep the screen on dim side (it should not be too bright). Use a hat or keep your face covered during outdoor activities. - If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed a cream (under dermatological supervision) containing Kojic acid with arbutin and mulberry extract in it. These are one of the best and safest creams to be applied. Apply any of these creams in a very thin layer at night time only so that these should not be visible to naked eye. Apply at night time before sleeping. You can use the same for 1-2 month of period to see the results. I hope these informations will help you in getting rid of pigmentation marks. I will be glad to reply any further queries. With glowing skin wishes, regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Suggest any cream for maintaining fair skin 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks a ton for the answers. Can you please suggest me a the cream name too so that I would not go to any pharmetical store and confuse me as to which one to apply? ANd of course a UV cream too! Thanks Again!

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply the medicne in a very thin layer Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Hello young lady, Thanks for your further query. If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed you a cream containing Kojic acid with arbutin and mulberry extract ( such as Clearz ULTRA) in a very thin layer so that after application it should not be visible to the naked eye. A cream with Beta-white+Tyrostat +Melanostatine-5 (Advan cream from Alembic pharma) is one of the latest of cream which is now available in India. If you can get that then you can use both the creams alternatively at night time. A rule of thumb is that a pea size amount is sufficient for a palm size area. For sunscreen- as you have oily skin so you can apply a non-oily or non cream based sunscreen ( such Ultraguard 40+ ) in day time. You should remember that change in our skin tone is gradual process so have patience. Do comply with other of suggestions which are more important than the creams and medicines!!! "All my best wishes for healthy and glowing skin" regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology