Suggest an alternative of 'Concerta' for ADHD treatment

General Surgeon
Dear Doctors, I recenly have come with my family to Bangalore for 3 Years. Myself aswell as my 9 yo son are suffering on ADHD. In Germany where we have lived we used to get a medicine called Concerta which is Methylphenidate in retard form. Myself was taking daily 54mg and my son was taking regular (not retard) Methylphenidate of 20mg per day (1-0-1). Unfortunately this medicine is not available in India and it is simply to costly and very time consuming to import it from europe. I am looking therefore for an alternative medicine which is available and accessible in India. Im not sure about the pharmaceutical system in India but I assume that an alternative medicine would be only available with a prescription. If so it would be good if a doctor in Bangalore region is willing to consult us and support us in long term. Thanks and best regards. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Will recommend Manipal Hospital Bangalore Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Greetings of the day Namasthe Dear Mr XXXXXXX I do understand the difficult situation you are facing being in a new place. Let me assure you that health care system is very simple in India. All you need is a Pediatrician with whom you will be comfortable. Tablet Methylohenidate is available in India under the brand name of Retalin. You will definitely require the prescription of a Registered Medical practitioner for procurring it. Many of the drugs are available over the counter but many of the Pharmacist will insist on prescription. I would recommend you Manipal Hospital, located at airport road Bangalore. You can book an online appointment for you and as well as your son. Walk in the hospital on the date of appointment. You will be Reassessed as well well as your son. You can seek the services of Adult Neurologist and Pediatric Neurologist. Do not worry, there will be no hassle. Enjoy your stay in Bengaluru India. Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon